MCITP

MCITP

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Issue 4 :- Applying SP2 on SQL Server 2008 and it shows black CMD screen and then it disappears.


Hi,

Once I faced a issue when I was applying SP2 on SQL Server 2008R2. Whenever I clicked the setup icon the black CMD screen runs and disappears. Nothing happened after that and every time I click the setup icon the result is same. Then I thought that SP2 might me corrupt, so i downloaded a new SP2, but it also behaved like the earlier one. After much effort I was able to rectify the problem using the below steps.

The .Net error : the SQLsetlog gives below error
Error: Cannot load .Net security policy file
Error: InitializeSqlSetupCodeGroupCore(32bit) failed
Error: InitializeSqlSetupCodeGroup failed: 0x80004005
Setup closed with exit code: 0x80004005
Ran in cmd : C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\caspol.exe -machine -reset
if you have 64 bit then use Framework64

7 comments:

  1. Would be great if this worked but when attempting to run this command

    ERROR: Runtime error: This method explicitly uses CAS policy, which has been obs
    oleted by the .NET Framework. In order to enable CAS policy for compatibility re
    asons, please use the NetFx40_LegacySecurityPolicy configuration switch. Please
    see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=155570 for more information.

    For usage information, use 'caspol -?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! it works for me too.
    Only by the sentence 'if you have 64 bit then use Framework64.'
    I have seen lot of URL mentioning C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\caspol.exe -machine -reset
    but only your suggestion clicked for me to use Framework64
    Thanks a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I have similar issue while installing SQL 2012 Core setup, its 64bit and this article helped me to bypass. thanks for taking time and documenting.
    Anil G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! It works for me while installing SQL 2012.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have encountered the same problem while upgrading SQL-2012 SP2, your solution worked.

    Thanks,
    Hitesh Patel

    ReplyDelete
  6. how about installing sql 2014? Can I run the same line "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\caspol.exe -machine -reset" in cmd? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete

Followers